By Anya Ruth. From Mlive.com. Originally posted: December 29, 2015. Original Article.

 

A teen working as a farmhand died after inhaling toxic chemicals on Dec. 18 in Grant Township.

The Grand Traverse Sheriff’s Office identified the girl as Heather Marie Barley, 17, of Buckley.

According to Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Barley worked on a hog farm as a farm hand.

About an hour after she got to work, Barley was found unresponsive.

Elevated levels of carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide were found through atmospheric testing done the day of the incident. It is possible the gases came from a steam generator used for high pressure power washing, MiOSHA reports.

The incident remains under investigation.

Barley’s is the 29th Michigan worker death in 2015.